Thursday 2 January 2014

Post Xmas Toy



Visit Tagbits to see the full range of tagger products described in this blog.


I've been using my reprap printers to make Milestag Lasertag gun bodies for some time now. But I believe I can make even better gun bodies when removing material, rather than adding it.

So I've designed a CNC router,it's a moving bed design.:



It is designed around some 45mm extruded aluminium that was being thrown out at work. I'm using 20mm (SBR20) linear bearings throughout so it should be pretty tough.

I received the all the linear bits today from Chai at LinearmotionBearings. As my design is a custom build, he made me up an order to my requirements which arrived today, about 14 days after the order, and well packaged:



Everything was there. The ball screws are beautifully machined, but may need a going over with emery cloth when fitting the brackets.



I'd deliberately delayed committing myself to buying any additional parts until these turned up. And I was right to do so. Of the 3 custom linear rail lengths I had requested, two were +5mm in length. This means that I now need to buy custom 45mm aluminium extrusions, rather than the ones I had.

This isn't a major problem, but it has added about 30UKP to the cost of the machine.

No comments: