Sunday 29 November 2015

I shall call him: Mini Me



I was at Oldham Library and Lifelong Learning Centre with Hack Oldham for the monthly 'Hack the Library' meet up.

Basically, it's a geeky get together to show the public what the Oldham Makerspace is about.

We got to use the library's Vex IQ robotic system.



And we used the Hack space's Cubify Sense 3D scanner to introduce local kids to the technology.



As the owner of a Mendel90 it seemed rude not to get a scan of myself. One of the members decided it would be a good idea to film the process:



This results in a .ply file which contains the 3D information and textures:

It can be viewed in Meshlab, and exported as a .STL file for printing:



I normally use Skeinforge to slice .STL files, but I always seem to have trouble getting it to create support material. For this print I use Slic3r which I set to use a layer height of 0.2mm. My Mendel90 has a 0.4mm extruder nozzle and I have never used such a small layer height before, but I was not disappointed:

No comments: