Thursday 3 February 2011

Sensor Connections

I've been trying to find the best way to mount the Milestag sensors to a headband and connect them to the gun.

I've decided that I'm going to mount a loop strip of velcro on a baseball cap or elastic headband and attach hook velcro to the back of the sensors. This gives me the most flexibility for sensor placement.

I've been unhappy with the way the sensors connect. They are traditionally soldered in parallel with a connection to the gun. I had concerns about the reliability of this as soldered connections break when flexed.

I decided to compromise and designed a PCB to connect two sensors to a RJ10 socket. Why RJ10 when others are using RJ11? Because RJ10 curly leads are available for less than 1UKP and these are ideal to connect the sensors to the gun.

Here is the headband sensor schematic:




It's very simple. I intend to place it in a small, velcro mounted box.


Here is a set of 8 PCBs ready for cutting and drilling:

No comments: